Coherentism and Truth

But why should we believe that coherence tracks truth? Well, when I consider my beliefs from the inside, I do not need to be shown that coherence tracks truth. The beliefs I am starting with are beliefs that I already take to be truth (that is what it means to say that these are my beliefs); and so the beliefs dialectically established from these starting-points I will also take to be true. Of course, I may eventually come to ask how it is that coherence tracks truth. But here I am asking for an explanation of a recognized fact, not for proof of something in question. (I am trying to move from mere [knowledge] to [understanding].) And I will no doubt have, on the basis of my current beliefs themselves, sufficient grounds for accepting such-and-such an explanation. For example, my beliefs tell me that I am being supplied with reasonably accurate perceptual organs, reasonably reliable belief-formation mechanisms, and an environment of other knowers interacting in a truth-tracking manner à la Mill's On Liberty. But I do not need to know any of this initially in order for my  beliefs to be justified.

No doubt the justification of one's beliefs will, however, be strengthened or weakened depending on one's ability or inability to come up with an explanation of why beliefs track truth. Indeed, the absence of such explanations where one expected to find them might well lead us, in good coherentist fashion, to revise our beliefs that our belief-forming mechanisms are reliable. Moreover, a belief-set that starts out justified may lose its justification if its possessor culpably fails to test it either for internal consistency or for consistency with new data.

Still, in the end, "ought" implies "can." Since we have no alternative to acting on the beliefs we have, we are justified in doing so, even if we cannot yet demonstrate these beliefs or explain why they are true; and so those beliefs are themselves justified, at least until a case can be made against them.

--Roderick T. Long, Reason and Value: Aristotle Versus Rand


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Impossibility of Illogical Thought

Is He Having a Laugh?

Freedom-Saturated Language