Welcome!

Watch this space for thoughts on atheism from a logicist's perspective. I will only say here that I depart from the Urban Dictionary definition of logical atheist as a person who "states there is insufficient evidence to state that no god(s) exist or that they do not believe a god(s) exist. Instead the Logical Atheist simply says, 'There isn't enough evidence to support or deny the existence of a god(s).'"

That sort of atheist would better be termed an evidentialist atheist, that is, an atheist whose lack of belief is evidence-based, but who thinks that the absence of evidence is not in itself evidence of absence. (I agree with that, by the way.)

In contrast, I use logical atheist for an atheist (like myself) who says: "On the basis of logic (identity, non-contradiction, and excluded middle), I affirmatively believe that no supernatural realm or being exists or could possibly exist. Therefore, we never reach the point where the theist would be asked to produce evidence."

I'll discuss all of this in forthcoming posts. Stay tuned.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Impossibility of Illogical Thought

Is He Having a Laugh?

Freedom-Saturated Language